Isaiah 1

Isaiah 1:2, 13 NIV

Hear me, you heavens! Listen, earth!
For the Lord has spoken:
"I reared children and brought them up,
but they have rebelled against me.

Stop bringing meaningless offerings!
Your incense is detestable to me.
New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations—
I cannot bear your worthless assemblies.

Were it not for the Abrahamic Covenant God would have destroyed Judah like Sodom and Gomorrah. He took no pleasure in their religious exercises. We have a tendency to focus on activity and ignore the heart. We excuse hypocrisy with religious activity. We feel justified in our thinking that God is pleased because we said our prayers and went to church. That is what Judah was doing. Despite their sin, their idolatry, their disobedience, their abuse of justice, their ignoring of the needs of the poor, they assumed that God was somehow obligated to bless and protect them because they offered their sacrifices. God says otherwise. Religious activity does not cancel out bad behavior.

This chapter makes me wonder how often we, the church, sit in religious smugness all the while condemning the world around us for their sin, their drunkeness, their rowdiness, their uncouth behavior, their immorality and bad language. Meanwhile, when someone in the community is hurt and in need it is often the bars that step up first to help. There is a discrepancy between the compassion we claim to believe in and the lifestyle we often practice. They give sacrificially because they've had a bit too much to drink. We withhold help because ... Well, we've always got good excuses. Which "spirit" do you think people will respect as a result? I wonder how pleased God really is with our behavior.

Father, I sometimes wonder whether you have lifted your blessing from this country, not because of the gross immorality of unbelievers, but because of the hypocrisy of believers. Today, give me a heart that listens well to your Spirit. Give me eyes to see the opportunities for ministry that you place around me. Give me hands to serve in your name. Forgive me for the times I have settled for religious activity instead of living faith.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert
District Superintendent
EFCA Northern Mtn District

Comments