Isaiah 39

Isaiah 39:4 NIV

The prophet asked, "What did they see in your palace?"
"They saw everything in my palace," Hezekiah said. "There is nothing among my treasures that I did not show them."

Ego, lack of discernment, and shortsightedness show up in Hezekiah in the 8 verses that follow his song of praise and humility about his healing. Just when we thought that Hezekiah might be poised for a great finish; remember his words in Isaiah 38:15 "He has spoken to me, and he himself has done this. I will walk humbly all my years..."? Just when we thought that he was poised for a great finish someone comes along and strokes his ego. How susceptible we are to a little praise and attention.

In the pleasure of the moment he shows a surprising lack of discernment. Hezekiah's eyes are on Assyria as the threat. He never even sees the danger from Babylon, yet it is Babylon that will ravage Jerusalem in the near future. Assyria has already ceased to be a threat, yet this King is looking backwards at yesterday's threats instead of forward to tomorrow's. I see that often in my own life and in the lives of other believers and churches. We are fighting the battles and setting policies for the threats of last year, the last decade, or even the last generation while a very real threat looms before us that we never even recognize. Lord, give us discernment.

Finally, in Hezekiah's ego driven lack of discernment, her makes an even deadlier error. He thinks only of himself and his own personal peace.

Isaiah 39:8 NIV

"The word of the Lord  you have spoken is good," Hezekiah replied. For he thought, "There will be peace and security in my lifetime."

He takes no consideration for the generations to come. When I was a boy my grandfather was planting trees. I could not understand why he would plant trees that he would never see come to maturity. He told me it was for future generations. I couldn't see that far into the future, but he could. Today those trees are beautiful, mature trees that someone he never even knew are enjoying. As believers, and as churches we need to be asking ourselves the question: Are we preparing the next generation or are we satisfied to preserve our own comfortable existence until we're gone?

Father forgive me for the times I have allowed my ego to get in the way. Forgive me for the times I have shown a distinct lack of discernment rather than seeking your guidance. Forgive me especially for the times I have been more interested in my own personal peace and affluence than in the generations to follow me. May my life be characterized by humble discernment, focused on preparing the way for those who will follow.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments