Isaiah 45

Isaiah 45:4, 6 NIV

For the sake of Jacob my servant,
of Israel my chosen,
I summon you by name
and bestow on you a title of honor,
though you do not acknowledge me.

so that from the rising of the sun
to the place of its setting
people may know there is none besides me.
I am the Lord , and there is no other.

Who is this chosen one of God that he will honor, and through whom the world will know that God is the Lord? It is Cyrus, king of Persia. God says that he will summon and honor Cyrus even though he does not acknowledge God at all. I think that we sometimes get the idea that the accomplishment of God's great purpose is dependent on people of great faith and purity. The truth is that God, who spoke to Balaam through a donkey, can use anyone to accomplish his purposes. That is no excuse for disobedience, but it is grounds to take heart.

The eternal purposes of God are not thwarted if the "wrong" person gets into office. The purposes of God are not thwarted if those in power do not recognize God as Lord. These verses should encourage us to take heart. They should remind us that God is God and that he will accomplish his purposes. They should illuminate us to the truth that God doesn't need people of great personal charisma, passion and power. He simply wants ordinary people to be available. It is all about him, not about us.

The chapter nears its close with these words:

Isaiah 45:21 NIV

Declare what is to be, present it—
let them take counsel together.
Who foretold this long ago,
who declared it from the distant past?
Was it not I, the Lord ?
And there is no God apart from me,
a righteous God and a Savior;
there is none but me.

There is no other god like God. He knows the future from the past. No other god can do that. Yet here is the amazing thing, he is a righteous God and a Savior. Other gods demand service though they do not deserve it. God offers forgiveness though we do not deserve it. What a tremendous God we serve.

Father, forgive me for taking you and your forgiveness for granted. Today may I live in a constant mindset of worship knowing who you are and resting in your gracious salvation and eternal purpose.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments