Isaiah 46

Isaiah 46:1 NIV

Bel bows down, Nebo stoops low;
their idols are borne by beasts of burden.
The images that are carried about are burdensome,
a burden for the weary.

The gods of the world, their idols, are burdensome. They bring no rest. They offer no release. They are unable to tell the future. They are incapable of hearing and answering prayers. They are created by those who worship them, and then need to be carried about by those who bow down to them. The gods of this world are burdensome.

Whatever gods we serve, whatever we look to for security, significance and satisfaction, are ultimately burdensome. We worry about our bank accounts and our livelihood. We revel in our new car, but then we must buy gas, change oil, perform maintenance, wash it and keep it clean and nice. We glory in our new boat, or motorcycle, or some other toy that we hope will bring us happiness, only to find that it becomes one more thing for us to care for. We work hard to keep young and healthy only to discover that one day we all die. None of these things are self sustaining. None of these things have the ability to hear or answer our cries for help. None of these things can offer the security, significance or satisfaction that only God can provide.

What is amazing is that even while they are off "loving on" these gods of the world, God's love for his people never fades.

Isaiah 46:12-13 NIV

Listen to me, you stubborn-hearted,
you who are now far from my righteousness.

I am bringing my righteousness near,
it is not far away;
and my salvation will not be delayed.
I will grant salvation to Zion,
my splendor to Israel.

Now why would he do that? It is certainly not because Israel has been faithful. They have been running after other gods. It is not because they have recently drawn near to God. Verse 12 says that they are stubborn-hearted and that they are far removed from righteousness. And yet, God says:

Isaiah 46:3-4 NIV

"Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob,
all the remnant of the people of Israel,
you whom I have upheld since your birth,
and have carried since you were born.

Even to your old age and gray hairs
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

God's care for his people is based on the nature and character of God, not on the righteous acts of his people. It is based on his promise, his word and his purposes, not on whether people deserve his care, provision and protection. And he is a God that can actually care for, protect and provide for his people rather than having to be cared for by his people. God, the only true god, made us, carries us, sustains us and rescues us. Do we really want to serve a god we must carry, sustain and rescue?

Father, I confess that I have often looked to the wrong things for my security. Thank you that your care for me is dependent on your character, not on mine. In you in find rest, hope, peace, security and real deliverance.  In you I trust.

By His grace,
Rick weinert

Comments