Hebrews 4

Hebrews 4:9-10, 16 NIV

There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his.

Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

There remains a rest for the people of God. That is one of my favorite verses in scripture. Believing God, walking with God, trusting God is about rest. It seems that we so often make it a striving, working, guilt driven faith. God says it is a faith of rest. The power of God's word and the assurance of access to God's throne is directly related to this rest. "Anyone who enters God's rest also rests from their own work."

That doesn't mean that commitment is meaningless. It doesn't mean that obedience is unimportant. But commitment and obedience flow out of rest, not the other way around. Israel failed to enter God's rest, not because they disobeyed, but because they failed to believe. Their disobedience resulted from their unbelief. Commitment and obedience result from what we choose to believe. Rest is foundational to the Faith. If we are not walking in rest then we do not understand the faith we claim to embrace.

Father, forgive me for the times I have tried to push through on my own power. Forgive me for how often I have allowed my life to be filled with anxiety, fear and tension. Jesus, you are my Sabbath rest. Today may I rest in you.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments