Isaiah 65

Isaiah 65:1-2 NIV

"I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me;
I was found by those who did not seek me.
To a nation that did not call on my name,
I said, 'Here am I, here am I.'
All day long I have held out my hands
to an obstinate people,
who walk in ways not good,
pursuing their own imaginations—

God, in grace and mercy, revealed himself to a people who had not been seeking him. He called them out, set them apart and blessed them, but they failed to follow him. They consistently pursued other gods and violated his laws. Because of his love for them, however, he will not completely destroy them even though that is what they truly deserve.

When someone does something nice for another person they don't necessarily want to be paid back for their kindness, but they do appreciate a little appreciation. Sometimes just a "Thank you" is all that's needed. In this case Israel not only neglected to thank God for his blessings and protection, they actually attributed his blessings to other gods and figuratively spit in his face.

No one would blame God if he elected to respond by removing his blessing. That is essentially what he will do, and yet...

Isaiah 65:1-2, 8 NIV

This is what the Lord  says:
"As when juice is still found in a cluster of grapes
and people say, 'Don't destroy it,
there is still a blessing in it,'
so will I do in behalf of my servants;
I will not destroy them all.

I don't think we truly understand the depth of the offense our sin is to God, nor do we understand the breadth of his grace and mercy. It brings to mind the old chorus, "Why should he love me so? Why should he love me so? Why would my savior to Calvary go? Why should he love me so?" The answer? He shouldn't, but he is a God of mercy and grace. His love is not earned or deserved. It is lavished upon those who do not deserve it.

Pride might keep us from accepting a love we have not earned or deserved. Humility revels in it. Which explains why the scriptures say that God resists the proud but shows favor to the humble. Father, today may I listen well. May I walk in humility before you, and may I truly revel in your grace and glory.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments