Hebrews 11

Hebrews 11:32-33, 35-36 ESV

And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets— who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,

Women received back their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, so that they might rise again to a better life. Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment.

This chapter starts out with those who by faith did mighty exploits for God. But as I think back over the chapter and especially as I see how the chapter ends, I realize that this chapter on faith is just that. It's about faith, not about mighty exploits. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob did not receive the promised land. Not every fallen believer was raised up. Not every danger was lifted. Not every bad thing was removed. God had a bigger plan. The power of this chapter is not in the truth that God did great things through people of faith. Rather, it is that ordinary people held firmly to their faith no matter what the circumstances. That's the example to which God is calling us.

Father, forgive me for my little faith. Forgive me for being more concerned about my own safety and comfort than about you, your plans and your purpose. Today may I follow in the example of those who went before me by standing firm in my faith whether you lift darkness or allow me to remain in it, whether you remove difficulty and pain or ask me to persevere through it, whether you use me to do mighty exploits in your name or simply call me to faithfulness.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments