Ezekiel 1

Ezekiel 1:26, 28b ESV

And above the expanse over their heads there was the likeness of a throne, in appearance like sapphire; and seated above the likeness of a throne was a likeness with a human appearance.

Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. And when I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard the voice of one speaking.

Ezekiel starts out with a strange and overwhelming vision that includes a storm, four-faced creatures and flying wheels full of eyes. Above all of this is not a throne, but the "likeness of a throne." Seated on the "likeness of a throne" is not a person, the the "likeness" of a person. All of this is described not as the glory of God, nor even the likeness of the glory of God, but as the "appearance of the likeness of the glory" of God.

This vision is so bizarre that many times we either just rush right past it, or try to make it say and mean all sorts of "deep" truths. Perhaps the deepest truth is that God is greater, more fear and awe inspiring, more overwhelming than we often think. I think that sometimes we make God far smaller and safer than he really is. God becomes like a giant Santa Clause winking at our indiscretions and giving us whatever we want. Or, he is a distant, angry God that we try to avoid by keeping a "low profile."

We tend to characterize God in one dimensional images much like a character in a television show. God is much more complex than that. He is far more glorious than we can imagine. Yet, he is loving, approachable and personable as well. We cannot put God in a box and say we have defined him and that he must always do this or that.

Perhaps the power of this vision of Ezekiel is that it serves to remind us of this truth. Father, forgive me for the times I have made you, in my mind, less than you are. Today may I walk in the overwhelming glory of your greatness. With Ezekiel may I fall on my face before you and hear you speak.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments