Ezekiel 7

Ezekiel 7:26 ESV

Disaster comes upon disaster; rumor follows rumor. They seek a vision from the prophet, while the law perishes from the priest and counsel from the elders.

This chapter is filled with repetitions . "Disaster upon disaster" is proclaimed. "The end has come, the end has come" the prophet says. God declares, "My eye will not spare, nor will I have pity." Repetitions like that are used in scripture to indicate the certainty of something. This chapter is filled with repetitions indicating that God's judgement is sure and certain.

Why? There are several reasons, but behind them all is the truth of verse 26. They seek a vision from God while they ignore his law. This is a people under covenant relationship with God. He has promised them blessing for obedience and judgment for disobedience. They desperately want to hear from God. The problem is that they want to hear good things from God, about protection and deliverance, while ignoring what they already ought to know from God's law.

We are not much different. We want God's blessing, protection and provision. We don't want to take God's demands on our lives seriously. How can we expect God to speak to us, guide us and bless us while we are  ignoring what he has clearly revealed to us in His word?

Father, forgive me for how often I cry out to you for help while consciously ignoring what you have already revealed to me. Today may I walk in humble submission. May I listen well to all you say. May my life reflect Jesus rather than Judah of Ezekiel's day.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments