Ezekiel 15

Ezekiel 15:5, 8 ESV

Behold, when it was whole, it was used for nothing. How much less, when the fire has consumed it and it is charred, can it ever be used for anything!

And I will make the land desolate, because they have acted faithlessly, declares the Lord God."

In this chapter God's People are compared to a useless vine. Elsewhere in Scripture they are compared to a strong, tall tree, but here they are a useless vine. The vine, he explains, is worthless. You can't even use it to make a good peg. You just cut it out of the forest and burn it. Israel became like that vine because of her sin. She forgot who she was.

It makes me wonder about my life, the lives of others, and about churches. How often do we allow ourselves to become worthless to the purposes of God because of sin, apathy or lack of faith? "They have acted faithlessly," God said of Israel. Too often that has been true of us as well. It is time we acted out of faith, not faithlessness.

Father, today let me see what you are doing around me. By faith may I step up and be a part of your mission and purpose. Forgive me for the times I have allowed sin, apathy and faithlessness to stand in the way.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments