Ezekiel 35

Ezk 35:11
11 therefore, as I live, declares the Lord God, I will deal with you according to the anger and envy that you showed because of your hatred against them. And I will make myself known among them, when I judge you.
(ESV)

Anger and envy. Earlier in the chapter God scolded Edom for their "perpetual enmity." It reminds me of the passage in Ephesians 4 that says, " Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil." We often feel that our anger is justified. What we neglect to understand is that anger, if held on to, defiles us and gives the enemy an "opportunity" in our lives.

Anger is often connected with envy. In our own personal insecurities and perceived insignificance we envy others. Unfulfilled envy then moves us to frustration and anger. In the midst of that vicious and destructive cycle we neglect to recognize that often those we envy are no happier nor more fulfilled than we are. We fail to recognize that having the life, circumstances, expertise or stuff that belongs to another can never bring us happiness nor fulfillment.

Happiness and personal fulfillment in life are never found externally and the pursuit of them through external means only results in more envy and anger. Joy is rarely something one finds by pursuing it. Usually we are surprised by it when we stop focusing on ourselves.

Father, forgive me for the anger and envy that so often characterize my life. Today may I rest in you, serving rather than envying, loving rather that hating. May my life reflect Jesus to those around me.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments