Ezekiel 39

Ezekiel 39:7-8 ESV

"And my holy name I will make known in the midst of my people Israel, and I will not let my holy name be profaned anymore. And the nations shall know that I am the Lord , the Holy One in Israel. Behold, it is coming and it will be brought about, declares the Lord God . That is the day of which I have spoken.

How had Israel profaned God's name? It is one thing for a Hittite, or an Ammorite to live in a profane and ungodly manner. It dishonors God because he is their creator whether they acknowledge it or not, but it is expected. It is another thing altogether when an Israelite bows before an idol, or in some other way acts in a profane and ungodly manner. Their actions reflect on the nature and character of the God they claim to serve.

The command that warns not to take the name of God in vain is not so much about using what we would call vulgar speech. Certainly that applies, but the real force of that command is that Israel is not to be called the people of God and then live as though He did not exist. They were not to take his name upon themselves, (i.e. the people of God) and live as though they served some other god, or no god at all.

This is a huge lesson for us today. One of the first and most common complaints heard about Christians is that they are hypocrites. Granted, that is not always valid, but too often it is true. And it is a valid complaint. When believers worry like there is no God, when we treat others with prejudice, unkindness or animosity, when we lie, steal or cheat, it reflects on the nature and character of the God we claim to serve. We are taking God's name in vain. His name is profaned.

Father, forgive me for the many times my life does not reflect well on you. Today may people see Jesus in me.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments