Ezekiel 45

Ezk 45:1 "When you allot the land as an inheritance, you shall set apart for the Lord a portion of the land as a holy district, 25,000 cubits long and 20,000 cubits broad. It shall be holy throughout its whole extent. (ESV)

Two things strike me from this chapter. First, there is to be a section of land at the very heart of Israel set aside as holy ground for the Lord. Second, the Prince is a central figure. In the original Mosaic Law there was no mention of the role of the Prince or King, but here it is the Prince that is to provide the major sacrifices and offerings.

I've been reading this chapter over and over for several days. These final chapters of Ezekiel are hard to draw practical applications from. That being said, it is certainly true that we need to make sure that the Lord is at the center of all that we are and all that we do.

It is one thing to say that God is first priority in my life, but that actually just makes him first among many priorities. He is not just to be one of many priorities in my life that I give precedence to, he is to be central. When God is central then all priorities, values and decisions in life are ordered by him and around him. When he is first, then once I have given him enough time and energy I am free to give the rest of my time an energy to whatever priorities I have left in life. There is a difference between God being first in my life and God being central. Setting aside this holy ground at the center of Israel is a great picture of the necessity and importance of God being at the heart of all I am and all I do.

As for the Prince providing the sacrifices and offerings, Jesus is ultimately the Prince of Israel and the one who has already provided the sacrifices and offerings through his own death and resurrection. That is the very reason we ought to make sure that he is central to all we are and all we do.

Father, forgive me for how often I begin to think of you as simply one priority among many. Today may I live with you at the heart of all I am, all I do, and all I think, say and see.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments