Hebrews 3

Heb 3:18-19 And to whom did he swear that they would not enter his rest, but to those who were disobedient? So we see that they were unable to enter because of unbelief. (ESV)

I find these verses fascinating. God swore that the "disobedient" would not "enter his rest." But then the author of Hebrews concludes, "they were unable to enter because of unbelief." I think most of us would have concluded, "they were unable to enter because of disobedience." What the author understands is that ultimately obedience and disobedience are not about what we do. They are primarily about what we believe.

What we believe, who we are truly trusting, is at the heart of the Scriptures and the gospel. In Genesis 3 Adam and Eve chose to believe a lie rather than believing God's truth. That resulted in them eating fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in disobedience to God's command. What we do is based on what we believe. The Christian life is ultimately not about sucking it up and doing the right thing. It is about faith.

Here is a conundrum. We enter God's rest by resting. We don't enter his rest by trying really hard. We don't enter his rest by praying the right prayer. We don't enter into his rest by impressing him. We enter into his rest by trusting him. Obedience flows out of faith.

Father, forgive me for my lack of faith. Forgive me for how often and how quickly I default to trust in my own failing efforts when you have already provided  all I need. Today may I walk by faith and find rest in you.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments