More on Ezra 1:1

Eza 1:1b that the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the Lord stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia (ESV)

I would have expected Ezra to start out something like this: "The exile of God's people moved him to stir up the spirit of Cyrus," or "the barrenness of God's land moved him to stir up..." Instead it begins, "that the word of the Lord ... might be fulfilled."  God takes his own word seriously. How much more should we do so?

I know you've heard this before, I have, but as believers in 21st century United States of America we have greater access to God's Word than any people in any time in history. The sad truth is that most of us have multiple Bibles that sit on our shelves while believers in much of the world would die to have a copy of the Bible for themselves. It seems that the old saying is true, familiarity breeds contempt. In a country where the Bible is so accessible it is increasingly looked upon as just another old moldy book of writings from some obscure source. God forgive us.

Sitting here in my living room I can see three hard copies of the Bible while I hold an Android tablet in my lap with multiple digital versions of the Bible. The real question is not whether I have a Bible, but whether it makes any difference in how I live. Do I actually read it? Do I think on it? Do I treasure the access I have to God's word? Does it affect change in my life? Does it make any difference in how I do business, how I interact with people, how I face difficulties and conflict in my life, or how I view my future? God took his Word so seriously that he stirred the spirit of a pagan king to do his bidding. How seriously do I take it?

Father, I confess that I have often neglected your Word. I confess that even when I read it I have often failed to follow it. Thank you for your patience with me, but from now on may I take your Word as seriously as you do.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments