Philemon 3

Phm 1:8-9a Accordingly, though I am bold enough in Christ to command you to do what is required, yet for love 's sake I prefer to appeal to you (ESV)

Authority. Everyone likes to have it, but no one likes to have it enforced upon them. It is comfortable, easy and uncomplicated when people just unquestioningly do what we tell them. Having authority with humility is another story.

The Apostle Paul writes in this short letter that he could pull the "I'm an apostle so do as I say" card, but he would rather have Philemon choose to do the right thing rather than being coerced. There are appropriate times when authority must be exercised, but for the most part the Christian means of leadership is humble service rather than authoritative commandeering.

Leadership by humble service necessitates trust. Those who are led need to trust the judgment of the leader. Leaders need to trust those they lead. Ultimately it is about trusting that God is his sovereignty never loses control even when people make bad decisions. It seems to me that most conflicts in churches result from pride, mistrust and the attempt to lead or influence through authority and intimidation like the world. We have much to learn from this passage. The first thing we need to learn is to love, respect and trust God as he works in, through, and sometimes in spite of his people.

Father, forgive me for the times I have commanded and demanded instead of humbly leading in my marriage, my family and my ministry. May I trust you enough to walk in humble service.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments