Ezra 3

Eza 3:3 They set the altar in its place, for fear was on them because of the peoples of the lands, and they offered burnt offerings on it to the Lord, burnt offerings morning and evening. (ESV)

Fear. Why doesn't it say, "They set the altar in its place out of gratitude," or "They set the altar in its place out of their love for God," or "They set the altar in its place so they could worship their God"? It wasn't love, gratitude or a desire to worship, but fear of the nations around them that motivated Israel to set the altar in its place and offer their burnt offerings.

We could respond, "Well, whatever it takes to get them to do the right thing." And, I suppose that there is some truth to that, but I find it sad that Israel was motivated by fear of the surrounding nations rather than their fear of God. The pain and difficulties that surround us are too often more real to us than the God we serve. We are really no different than Israel. When things are good, comfortable and easy we find ourselves saying things like, "I know I really should pray more." When we find ourselves in crisis mode, prayer becomes our way of life.

I'm not sure how to change that, but for me I find that the daily discipline of thinking on the scriptures makes a difference. I find that the habit of talking to God before I climb out of bed, even if I'm floating in and out of sleep while I do it, sets a precedent for the day. But most of all a constant reminder of my inclined ability to quickly fall away motivates me to stick close to God. As the old hymn goes:

I need thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
no tender voice like thine can peace afford.

I need thee, O I need thee;
every hour I need thee;
O bless me now, my Savior, I come to thee.

I need thee every hour; stay thou nearby;
temptations lose their power when thou art nigh.

I need thee every hour, in joy or pain;
come quickly and abide, or life is vain.

I need thee every hour; teach me thy will;
and thy rich promises in me fulfill.

I need thee every hour, most Holy One;
O make me thine indeed, thou blessed Son.

I need thee, O I need thee;
every hour I need thee;
O bless me now, my Savior, I come to thee.

Maybe that is why the fear of the nations motivated Israel to worship. That fear is what reminded them of their need for God. Father, don't let me reach crisis mode before I remember how much I need you every day. Today may I walk in humble dependence on you.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments