Ezra 5

Eza 5:12 But because our fathers had angered the God of heaven, he gave them into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, the Chaldean, who destroyed this house and carried away the people to Babylonia. (ESV)

When the leaders of Israel were questioned about their work to rebuild the temple there was both humility and honesty in their answer. They didn't try to whitewash their past. They didn't say, "The Great God told us to build so we're building." They could have said that, but they didn't. They didn't say, "What right do you have to challenge what we are doing? Cyrus gave us permission to do this." They could have said that, but they didn't. They didn't say, "That evil king Nebuchadnezzar destroyed our great temple and now that he is gone we are rebuilding." They could have said that, but they didn't. Rather, they humbly acknowledged that the mess they were in was the result of the sins of their fathers.

They made reference back to their historical greatness. They mentioned Nebuchadnezzar. They even mentioned that Cyrus had given them permission to rebuild. But, at the heart of what their answer was the humble acknowledgment that the destruction was at the hand of their own God because of the sin of their own people. No blame. No defensiveness. Just honest, uncomfortable truth.

Too often my natural response is defense and excuse. Too often I am tempted to gloss over my own culpability. There is nothing godly about pretending that we didn't make any mistakes. There is nothing godly about glossing over our sins. The way forward in God's economy always lies through humble confession,  Humility and honesty trump trying to look good every time.

Father, forgive me for how quick I am to default to trying to protect my reputation rather than admitting my faults. Today may I walk in humble honesty before you and those around me. May your grace receive the glory, not my polished reputation.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments