Daniel 1

Dan 1:8 But Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself with the king 's food, or with the wine that he drank. Therefore he asked the chief of the eunuchs to allow him not to defile himself. (ESV)

Daniel's home has been destroyed. He has been carried off into captivity, turned into a eunuch, had his name changed to honor a foreign god and is now being groomed to serve the very government that destroyed his home and his way of life. How should he respond?

He could experience what we have come to call the Stockholm syndrome by making friends with his oppressors, embracing their values, goals and lifestyle. He could openly rebel, staging a demonstration, starting a rebellion,  or initiating a hunger strike. What he did instead took a great deal of faith and character. He resolved not to defile himself, yet he humbly and respectfully approached the chief of the eunuchs to request a change in diet. He even had a wise response to the chief's objections.

What strikes me about this chapter is the lack of demand for Daniel's rights. The Declaration of Independence of the United States of America states, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..." The idea of demanding ones rights is a particularly American export. While I applaud the idea, am grateful for those who died to preserve my "rights," and believe that I have a responsibility to honor the "rights" of others, this also raises a question for me. Do I have the right to demand my rights?

One could certainly argue that all Daniel's rights were stripped from him yet he responded in humility and respect. Jesus set aside his rights in order to take on the form of man, suffer, die and be buried in order to save people who deserved to be sent to Hell. If believers are to walk in the steps of Jesus then perhaps we need to be less concerned about our rights and more concerned about what it means to serve rather than be served.

Daniel and his friends would all risk their lives in order to maintain their resolve to never defile themselves, but even then they did it with respect and humility, not stubborn arrogance and disrespect. That is what made Daniel and his friends different. It is what caused them to have the impact and influence that they did.

Father, forgive me for too often being so concerned about what I deserve that I neglect to understand what others need. Forgive me for being so self focused that I lose sight of your gracious, sovereign hand behind the scenes. It seems that in my passion to preserve my rights I too often defile your name. Today may I, like Daniel, live a life without compromise, yet live it in humility and respect.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments