Ezra 7 - Part 4

Eza 7:7 And there went up also to Jerusalem, in the seventh year of Artaxerxes the king, some of the people of Israel, and some of the priests and Levites, the singers and gatekeepers, and the temple servants. (ESV)

Ezra's leadership is indispensable to this mission of reviving the worship of God, but he cannot do it alone. Ezra's name means "helper." To often we look at churches and ministries as extensions of the pastor, founder or leader. Clearly their leadership is key, but the truly biblical leader understands their role a one of servant, not commander.

Ezra didn't go to Jerusalem alone. A whole contingent of temple workers went with him. The ministry of Northern Bible Church cannot accomplish its call to reach, grow and equip devoted followers of Jesus without the involvement of the entire body. It is the role of the pastor and the elders to serve and equip the body to do the work of the ministry.

When I, as the pastor, begin to think that somehow this church exists to serve me or my agenda then I am walking on dangerous ground. I am so blessed to serve in a church filled with growing, serving brothers and sisters in Christ. May we never lose sight of God's call on our lives. God forbid that I should ever begin to think that somehow the church is here to serve me.

Father, thank you for how you are working in the lives of those around me. Give me the wisdom and discernment to know how to effectively help and equip them for the unique ministries to which you have called them.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments