Ezra 8 - part 2

Ezra 8:15 I gathered them to the river that runs to Ahava, and there we camped three days. As I reviewed the people and the priests, I found there none of the sons of Levi.(ESV)

After listing the leading men in the first paragraph of this chapter Ezra then says "I" several times. "I gathered them to the river... I reviewed ... I found ... I sent ... Then I proclaimed a fast... I was ashamed to ask the king... Then I set apart twelve of the leading priests... I weighed out to them..." etc. Ezra gathered everyone together to prepare for the trip, proclaimed a fast, and set apart twelve leading priests. From that point on he never says "I" again. First it is "we." "Then we departed from the river..." After that it is "those" and "they." "Those who had come from captivity ... offered burn offerings... They also delivered the king's commissions... and they aided the people and the house of God." In this chapter Ezra moves from I to we to they. Isn't that what biblical leadership does?

Jesus said, "I am the light of the world." (John 8:12) In the next chapter, however, he reminds them that "As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world." (John 9:5) In Matthew 5 he says to his disciples, "You are the light of the world." Jesus knew that when he left this world his role would change and the light would be seen through his followers. He spent three years training up his disciples in order to commission them to take on that ministry of reconciliation through the Great Commission. Biblical leadership trains and equips rather than controlling and commanding. Biblical leadership trains up people to replace us. It equips and then commissions those who follow. 

That is what Ezra did. He called people to a vision, brought them together, led them to the Lord, appointed leaders, and then apparently gave them room to lead. We will see his continuing influence and leadership in the following chapters, but it is significant that he moves from I to we to they. Maybe he was elsewhere on the kings business during the last part of the chapter. Indications are that he was given extensive responsibility by the king. But that only strengthens the point. When biblical leaders do their job they do not have to be around and in control. The influence of their teaching and equipping allows for the people of God to function quite well without them. 

As parents it is our biblical responsibility to raise up and train children that can make wise choices on their own. As church leaders it is our responsibility to train and equip believers to hear from and follow God whether we are there or not. Pastors and elders do not stand in for God telling people what to think and do. They train and equip so that believers under their care can understand the scriptures rightly, discern the Spirit's leading well, and carry on in life and ministry effectively. If we fail to do that then we have failed as leaders and we have followed the example of neither Ezra nor Jesus.

Father, I confess that too often I want to control rather than equip and release. Forgive me. Maybe it is fear; maybe it is arrogance, but I acknowledge that it is not right. Give me the wisdom, discernment and humility to grow, equip and release those under my leadership to follow you wherever you may take them.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments