Colossians 2 - part 1

Col 2:23 These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self- made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh. (ESV)

Throughout this chapter the author continually refers to the Christian life in terms of growing and being built up. He warns against plausible arguments, philosophy, deceit, and twice he warns against the elemental spirits of this world. When I read that I think demons, Greek philosophy, New Age mysticism, cults and false religions. But that's not really what the apostle has in mind. He clarifies it for us in verse 23 when he defines these things as "self- made religion and asceticism and severity to the body." Certainly you will find these three concepts in demonic influence, Greek philosophy, New Age mysticism, cults and false religions, but you will also find then in Judaism, legalism and what appears on the surface to be biblical fundamentalism. He is not trying to identify specific religious systems that are dangerous. He is saying that any religious system is dangerous when it relies on rules, self-effort and personal discipline to produce what only the Holy Spirit can grow in us.

I have rules by which I live. I occasionally fast, or practice other forms of self-discipline. But I never assume that practicing those somehow makes me acceptable to God. Nor can I, by imposing those on others, produce spiritual life in them. Rules and self-discipline cannot change the heart. They can sometimes change behavior by establishing new habits and patterns of behavior, but spiritual growth starts on the inside.

The Christian life is not about keeping a list of rules. It is about understanding who I am in Christ and growing in that. It is about walking by faith. Being thankful is a key element in that walk. That's the point the author is making.

Col 2:6-8 Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. (ESV)

Father, thank you that you have not left it up to me to try and find you or earn your favor. I would fail. But you have gifted me with life. Today may I walk by faith, resting in Christ, not trusting in myself.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments