Looking back & looking forward

1 Corinthians 6:11 (ESV)

[11] And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

"Such were some of you." The apostle Paul just ran through a list of grievous sins after which he reminded the Corinthian believers that they used to do those things, but they had been washed clean and made holy in Christ. As believers we are called to keep our eyes focused on Jesus and our hope set on eternity, but there is value in occasionally looking back to see how far we've come. By God's grace we are no longer the people we used to be.

Christmas is the time when we remember and celebrate the truth that God became man in order to save us from ourselves and our sin. New Years is the time when we reflect on where we have been and where we are going. So, in the light of God's grace expressed in the birth of his son, let's take a few moments this week to reflect on where we have come, what God has taught us and where he might be leading us.

What lessons have you been learning this year? What challenges do you think God might be calling you to? What is one thing you know God has been speaking to you about but you've been resistant to listening? Who has he been calling you to talk to? What decision or change in your life has been nagging at the back of your mind that you have been ignoring?  I know there are some lessons that God has impressed on me through this past year, and some changes he has been nudging me toward. I'm not much of a resolution kind of guy. I don't have much faith in my own ability to change. But right now I confess to God that I am willing to have him change me.

Father, thank you for what you have been teaching me over the past year. May I continue in those truths. Father, you and I both know the changes you have been calling me to. I am willing to have you change me, but I acknowledge that I am weak. By your grace may I cooperate with your Spirit and see you change me more and more into your image.


By His grace,

Rick Weinert


Comments