Colossians 1:25

Colossians 1:25 (ESV)

[25] of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God that was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully known,

When we think of stewardship we almost always think of money. If the pastor is going to preach on stewardship the expectation is that he will be telling us that we need to give more. But the stewardship in this verse is about something quite different. It is not about money. It is about ministry. The Apostle Paul says that God has made him a steward of the Word of God for the sake of the Church. 1 Corinthians 9:17 talks about the stewardship of the gospel. Ephesians 3:2 refers to the stewardship of God's grace. 1 Timothy 1:4 talks about the stewardship of biblical doctrine related to faith. In fact, in my ESV Bible the English word "stewardship" occurs 4 times and never in reference to money. That is not to say that it is improper to teach about being good stewards of the money and possessions God has entrusted us with. That is clearly a biblical principle. It is to say, however, that perhaps we have not understood clearly that stewardship is about more than money, possessions and time.

 

God has entrusted his church with the word of God, the truth of the gospel, the grace of God and sound doctrine. We have been entrusted with these gifts for the sake of the church, the glory of God and the good of the world in which we live. Our fallen world needs to know the truth of God's Word, the hope of the gospel. It makes me wonder what kind of steward I have been.

 

Father, again today I lift my Pray and Watch list up to you. Would you send your Spirit into the lives of those on my list to open their eyes to the truth, draw them to faith in Christ and make them devoted followers of Jesus? Would you give me eyes to see the opportunities you place before me to share the love and truth of Christ? May I, by your grace, be a good steward of the truth with which you have entrusted me.

 

By His grace,

Rick Weinert

Comments