Colossians 3:12-13

Colossians 3:12 (ESV)

[12] Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, [13] bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.

 

According to these verses we are to be forgiving others as the Lord has forgiven us. That implies two things to keep in mind. First, we remember that God forgave us when we did not deserve it. Forgiveness is not earned or deserved, it is received by grace through faith. Secondly, we recognize that forgiveness is based on the cross. Jesus took my sins upon himself when he went to the cross. The truth is, he took my brother's sins there too. That offense against me has already been paid for by the death of Jesus on the cross. Therefore, I can forgive.

 

But the truth is, these to implications of verse 13 are not all that these verses suggest are necessary for forgiveness. Verse 12 is clearly connected. If I am to bear with others and forgive them then I must first have an attitude adjustment.  I need to recognize who I am in Christ. As a believer I am one of God's chosen ones, holy and beloved. As such I need to put on a compassionate heart, kindness, humility, meekness and patience, recognizing that my fellow believer is also one of God's chosen ones, holy and beloved. In other words a changed attitude based on my new standing with God through Jesus results in a changed attitude toward myself and others which allows me the freedom to forgive based on the death of our savior.

 

Father, thank you that you have forgiven me and my brothers and sisters in Christ of all sin past, present and future. Today may I walk in the joy and humility of that truth and may I extend your grace to those around me.

 

By His grace,

Rick Weinert


Comments