Daniel 9

Daniel 9:19 (ESV)

[19] O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive. O Lord, pay attention and act. Delay not, for your own sake, O my God, because your city and your people are called by your name."

In this chapter Daniel, after reading Jeremiah, began praying for his people Israel to be restored. Three clear principles of prayer stand out in this chapter. First, Daniel's prayer was based on God's Word. Second, Daniel's prayer was for God's people. Third, Daniel's prayer was for God's glory. Too often I fear that our prayers never stop to consider what God's Word actually says. Our prayers are too often about us rather than others. They sound much more like, "God, why me? Please get me out of this mess." Instead of, "God, because of your city and your people…" Too often our prayers are about what will make life easier for me rather than what will bring the greatest glory to my God. Our prayers are selfish and self-focused and we wonder why they aren't answered and why we don't have a passion for prayer.

 

Father, I confess that my prayer life has been too much about me.  May I learn to pray as Daniel prayed, to your glory.

 

By His grace,

Rick Weinert

Comments