Luke 2:29

Luk 2:29 “Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace, according to your word" (ESV)

What is the one thing that you feel you need to do before you die? When I was young I would hear people say that they were ready for the Lord to return any time, or they were ready to go to Heaven. I would think, "I know Heaven is a great place, but there are some things I want to see, or do, or experience before I go there."

For Simeon there was just one thing he wanted to see, the "consolation of Israel." That consolation, or comfort, came in the person of an 8 day old baby, Jesus. When he saw Jesus he had seen everything he needed to see. When he held Jesus he had done everything he needed to do. He was ready to go.

The things on our "bucket list" say a lot about what we value. Maybe we need to rethink the things we need to see and do before we "kick the bucket." Maybe seeing our neighbor come to faith in Christ is more important than seeing a lion in the wild or visiting an historic sight we always wanted to see. Maybe giving to the needy, or serving in the name of Jesus, or taking the gospel to someone I've never met is more important than taking my dream vacation. What do my priorities say about my values? What do they teach my children?

Father, may I be as single minded as Simeon. May my values and priorities be set by your Word and your Spirit.

By His grace,
Rick Weinert

Comments