Leadership

2 Timothy 2:1-2 (ESV)

 [2:1] You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, [2] and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.

 

I wrote earlier that we are all leaders. Timothy is instructed in this passage to take what he has learned from Paul and pass it on to others who will pass it on to others. The Great Commission instructs all believers to be in the process of making disciples who will make disciples. In Matthew 28:19-20 Jesus wrapped up the Great Commission with these words, "teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you." The command to make disciples and to teach those disciples to make disciples is, therefore, a standing task of all believers. In other words, we are all leaders.

 

Leadership is not about leadership. Leadership is about those we lead and he whom we serve. Leadership is not about finding satisfaction in titles, positions, accolades and acknowledgement, but in the satisfaction of knowing that you have left behind those who will follow God when you are gone. Paul's assurance to Timothy is to remember that he is secure in Christ. Paul never says, "You will be safe and significant if you remember my lesson plans." What he does say is that true believers will experience opposition and oppression but that God is faithful and can be trusted. Paul's leadership always pointed people beyond himself to the God who never fails, never abandons us even when people do, and will always be faithful even when we are not. Leadership is ultimately about pointing people to our true Head and saying, "Trust him. Follow him closely wherever he takes you. Teach others to do the same."

 

Father, forgive me for the times I have lived, acted and thought as though leadership was about me. May my life and my words always point people beyond myself to you. Let them clearly see Jesus in me.

 

By His grace,

Rick Weinert

Comments