We noted earlier that fear can produce chronic anxiety, or missed opportunities for blessing and ministry. I can also produce reactivity, conflict, and despair in our lives. In Gen 3:10 Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. The result was that when God came calling on them they hid in fear. “But the LORD God called to the man and said to him, ‘Where are you?’ And he said, ‘I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself’” (Genesis 3:9-10). Because of their own bad behavior, their guilt, and their shame, they were fearful. Their fear caused them to react and hide rather than throw themselves on the mercy of God. Fear often causes us to react rather than live proactively.
In 1Samuel Saul tries to kill David. By chapter 18 Saul is not only lashing out at David in emotional and/or demonic oppression. He is actively planning David’s demise. Why? “Saul was afraid of David because the LORD was with him but had departed from Saul” (1 Samuel 18:12). Fear causes reactivity. It also causes conflict. Fear can set friends at odds, cause hurt feelings, and create suspicion and mistrust. Fear divides.
Fear also causes despair. The Psalms are full of expressions of despair and depression. Psalms 142 was written by David when he was hiding in a cave. Saul was out to kill him. David had been anointed by Samuel to be the next king, but he was hiding in a cave. Here is how he felt as expressed in Psalm 142:1-3:
[1] With my voice I cry out to the LORD;
with my voice I plead for mercy to the LORD.
[2] I pour out my complaint before him;
I tell my trouble before him.
[3] When my spirit faints within me,
you know my way!
In the path where I walk
they have hidden a trap for me.

David was experiencing despair because he feared for his life. Not all fear, depression and despair is the result of sin. Not all fear, depression, and despair can be solved with a quick prayer. Chemical imbalances, short-circuits in our brain, and a variety of other medical issues can also cause these feelings. We need to be careful as believers that we do not throw easy answers at those who struggle with feelings of fear, depression, and despair. Depression and mental health issues are complicated. But, there are times when our experience of depression and despair is simply the result of allowing fear to creep in and take over our lives. It is significant that two verses later in Psalm 142 David pens these words: “I cry to you, O LORD; I say, “You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living” (Psalms 142:5). David was learning to turn his trust from himself and his circumstances to the covenant keeping God, Yahweh.
Fear can cause reactivity. It can produce conflict. It can lead to despair. But God offers something better.
Proverbs 3:1-8 (ESV)
[1] My son, do not forget my teaching,
but let your heart keep my commandments,
[2] for length of days and years of life
and peace they will add to you.
[3] Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you;
bind them around your neck;
write them on the tablet of your heart.
[4] So you will find favor and good success
in the sight of God and man.
[5] Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
[6] In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.
[7] Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.
[8] It will be healing to your flesh
and refreshment to your bones.

Comments