Esther 5:8-9 (ESV)

[8] If I have found favor in the sight of the king, and if it please the king to grant my wish and fulfill my request, let the king and Haman come to the feast that I will prepare for them, and tomorrow I will do as the king has said.”

[9] And Haman went out that day joyful and glad of heart. But when Haman saw Mordecai in the king’s gate, that he neither rose nor trembled before him, he was filled with wrath against Mordecai.



What an interesting contrast. Esther, whose life is hanging in the balance, shows great respect to the king and Haman. Haman, who has everything he could ever want, is devastated by the rejection of one insignificant man. What makes the difference? Esther entered the feast after having fasted for three days. Her focus was on God and his gracious power. Haman came into the feast thinking about himself. What he does when he goes home is eye-opening. He gathered all his friends and his wife and told them how great he was. Then he whined to them about Mordecai. I can just hear him, “Look at how great I am. Look at how much wealth I have. Look at how important I am to the king and his queen. There is nobody as great as I am, yet this Mordecai refuses to honor me. I can’t go on like this! What ever shall I do?”



Haman’s self-focus blinded him to all the good things in his life, robbed him of the pleasurable events in his life, and took him down a path that led to his demise. Esther, on the other hand, is focused on her people and her God. She acts graciously even in the presence of her enemy, Haman. She has accepted the truth of Paul’s words in Philippians 1:19-21:

[19] for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, [20] as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. [21] For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.



Her actions reflect Paul’s words in Philippians 4:10-13 (ESV)

[10] I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. [11] Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. [12] I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. [13] I can do all things through him who strengthens me.



Esther had learned from her Uncle Mordecai what Haman, in all his glory, never understood. Life was not about her. When life is about us it leads us straight to Haman’s demise. We lose the joy of the pleasures God provides, and end up with a handful of dust. When life is about the One we serve we are able to enjoy the pleasures God brings our way, live in the peace of his sovereign care, and still be willing to lay our lives on the line for others with grace and dignity. Joy is not based on what we have or on what people think of us. What an amazing contrast between Esther and Haman. It raises the question in my mind: How will I choose to live? It reminds me again of the truth of Hebrews 12.



Hebrews 12:2, 11 (ESV)

[2] looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

[11] For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.



Father, train me in righteousness, whatever it takes. I prefer the peaceful fruit of righteousness over the destructive fruit of self-focus. I would rather be like Esther than like Haman.

Comments