James 4:5 (ESV)
Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”?

In English this verse reads fairly clearly, yet in the Greek it is a difficult verse to translate. There are a variety of different possible meanings. One possibility is what the ESV seems to make clear, that is that God is jealous over us. Whether because of his Holy Spirit who dwells in us, or our own spirit, God “yearns jealously” over us. This leads me to two observations. First, the context seems to support this idea that God is jealous over us. In the following verses, God calls believers to submit to him and draw near to him. The fact that God desires us like a lover desires his love is not language we commonly use today. In fact, in a sex saturated society it almost sounds immoral. Yet God “yearns jealously” over us. Exodus 20:5 affirms this, “You shall not bow down to them (idols) or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God.”

The second observation is that the Greek word translated “jealous” carries a slightly different implication than how we normally think of the word. Jealousy in our language and culture generally is directed at our love. It usually carries negative feelings toward a boyfriend, girlfriend, or spouse who is being draw emotionally to another. The Greek word, however, carries negative feelings toward the one drawing the love away. It is a directed not toward our love, but toward the other lover. God’s jealousy of us does not direct negative feelings toward us, but toward the one who is trying to steal us away from him. James wrote in this chapter that “Friendship with the world is enmity toward God” (Jas 4:4), yet God’s ill will is not toward us, but toward the world, the flesh, and the Devil. So, if God is not angry with us, what is he doing? He is pouring out more grace upon us. “But he gives more grace” (Jas 4:6a).

We have a God who passionately loves us. He hates those things that draw us away from him yet he continues to love us. He pours out his grace in our lives as we humble ourselves before him. It is difficult to believe that he loves us this much. It is difficult to believe that God is actually jealous over me. It is difficult to believe that I don’t have to somehow earn his favor and approval. It is hard for us to accept undeserved favor. That is why it takes humility. Our self-sufficient pride so often keeps us from simply receiving his love and acceptance.

What an incredible truth to start out a new year on. God loves me! What more is there to say? I can receive it and revel in it, or I can refuse to believe it. I can let my heart be drawn away by my passions and desires to other gods, but he still loves me, and he give more grace. It is said that a great theologian was asked what he had learned in all his years. He responded, “Jesus love me this I know, for the Bible tells me so.” Today, take a moment to contemplate the first two lines of each verse from the hymn, Jesus, Lover of My Soul:

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly

Other refuge have I none,
Hangs my helpless soul on Thee;

Thou, O Christ, art all I want;
More than all in Thee I find;


Plenteous grace with Thee is found,
Grace to cover all my sin

Comments