Proverbs 4:1-6 (ESV)
[1] Hear, O sons, a father’s instruction,
and be attentive, that you may gain insight,
[2] for I give you good precepts;
do not forsake my teaching.
[3] When I was a son with my father,
 tender, the only one in the sight of my mother,
[4] he taught me and said to me,
 keep my commandments, and live.
do not forget, and do not turn away from the words of my mouth.
[6] Do not forsake her, and she will keep you;
 love her, and she will guard you.

I never noticed before that Solomon begins this chapter by speaking to his sons (plural), yet from that point on the text speaks to “my son” (singular). For example, “My son, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings” (Prov 4:20). The reason for the difference is found in verses 3-4. Solomon says to his sons, “(My father) taught me and said…” I can imagine David pulling Solomon aside and giving him the instructions that follow. Solomon then passes on to his children the truths that David taught him.

What do you want your children to learn from you and pass on to their children? David wanted Solomon to understand the value of wisdom and understanding or insight. “Get wisdom; get insight; do not forget” (Prov 4:5). Our children learn what we value. That brings two thoughts to mind.

First, we need to value biblical, godly wisdom. Do our children see us pursuing wisdom? They see us pursuing stuff. They see us pursuing experiences. They see us pursuing careers, or money, or cars and trucks, or hunting, or hobbies, or… Do they see us valuing wisdom?

That brings me to the second thought. Solomon apparently didn’t value what he was told his children to value. He was wise. In his early days he valued wisdom. He was given the option to ask for anything and he asked for wisdom. But throughout his life he appears to have valued wealth, power, and women move than he valued wisdom. That is exactly what his children learned to value. They learned from what they saw more than from what they heard him say. That is how children learn.


 “Let your heart hold fast my words;  keep my commandments, and live. Get wisdom; get insight; do not forget, and do not turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will keep you; love her, and she will guard you” (Prov 4:4-6). What legacy are we leaving for our children and grandchildren? Is it a legacy of self-indulgent pursuit, or sacrifice and wisdom?

Comments