Proverbs 31:1, 10 (ESV)
[1] The words of King Lemuel. An oracle that his mother taught him:

[10] An excellent wife who can find?
She is far more precious than jewels.

This chapter contains the counsel of a mother and the value of an excellent wife. But there is a theme that runs through the chapter that is different from to those to major themes, but connected.

Proverbs 31:6-9, 19-20 (ESV)
[6] Give strong drink to the one who is perishing,
and wine to those in bitter distress;
[7] let them drink and forget their poverty
and remember their misery no more.
[8] Open your mouth for the mute,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
[9] Open your mouth, judge righteously,
defend the rights of the poor and needy.

[19] She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.
[20] She opens her hand to the poor
and reaches out her hands to the needy.

The theme is selflessness. The mother counsels her son to rule with selflessness and concern for the less privileged. The wife clothes her children, brings honor to her husband, and ministers to the poor. They have learned the value of selflessness. The older I get the more I realize how selfish I am. I want to be served. I don’t want to be bothered. What I am doing is more important that what others need me to do. What I am thinking is more important that what others are thinking. This describes each of us far more that we care to admit. We live as though life is about us. The mother and wife in this chapter understand that is not true.

Why should I help the poor? Because life is not about you. Why should I be concerned about immigrants? Because life is not about you. Why should I be concerned about the unborn? Because life is not about you. Why should I sacrifice for another’s good? Because life is not about you. Why should I serve my wife and children without grumbling? Because life is not about you. Why should I give up my vacation time to do ministry for people I don’t know? Because life is not about you? Why should I …? Because life is not about you.

The counsel of the mother is to be selfless. The model of the excellent wife is selflessness. This chapter might be about the counsel of a wise mother and the virtue of an excellent wife, but it is about far more than that. It is about selflessness. Life is not about me. It is high-time we learn that lesson, stop trying to protect our own safety and security, and learn to serve others, particularly those who are less fortunate than we are. Life is not about me.

Comments