Habakkuk 3:16-19 (ESV)
[16] I hear, and my body trembles;
my lips quiver at the sound;
rottenness enters into my bones;
my legs tremble beneath me.
Yet I will quietly wait for the day of trouble
to come upon people who invade us.
[17] Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
[19] GOD, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer’s;
he makes me tread on my high places.
To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments.

As Habakkuk lays his concerns before God throughout this short book, his thoughts turn to the greatness of God. He reflects on God’s power, his majesty, and his frightening, awe inspiring presence. An awareness of God’s powerful majesty takes the strength out of his body. “my body trembles; my lips quiver at the sound; rottenness enters into my bones; my legs tremble beneath me” (Hab 3:16). But as God said, “My power is made perfect in weakness” (2Cor 12:9). Habakkuk finds himself experiencing weakness in the presence of God, but it is in that weakness that he can finally say, “I will quietly wait” (Hab 3:16).

When we face difficulties, attacks, failure, or pain, we try to build up our courage and be strong. We even say really spiritual sounding things like, “Never question God,” or “Never ask why.” But that is not what Habakkuk did. He questioned God. He honestly laid out before the Almighty his questions, fears, and concerns. In his confusion he encountered God. Having reflected on the power and majesty of the Almighty he gave up trying to be strong. In his weakness he came to understand that God had everything under control. He did not have to be strong. “God, the Lord, is my strength” (Hab 3:9). His strength was not in his own ability to screw up courage and stumble on. His strength was in contemplating the immense greatness of God himself. God’s strength was made perfect in Habakkuk’s weakness.

When we are facing things too big for us, too painful, too difficult, too challenging, stop trying to be strong. Turn your eyes to Jesus. Be honest with him about your weakness, fear, uncertainty, and inabilities. Reflect on the greatness of God himself, and let his strength sustain you. With Habakkuk we can say, “Yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation” (Hab 3:18). It is in our weakness that the power of God shows up. Rest in him.

Comments