Acts 22 Contextualization



I wrote this a few years ago, but it seems appropriate. @edstetzer talks about contextualizing the gospel. The Apostle Paul understood that concept. On being arrested, he asks to address the crowd. He has been arrested for allegedly teaching Jews to break the law and for allegedly bringing a Gentile into the temple. Neither accusation is accurate, but given the accusation, and his audience in Acts 22, Paul goes out of his way to contextualize his message. First he speaks in Aramaic (Acts 22:2). Then he emphasizes his Jewish background (vss 3ff). He reminds them of his initial violent opposition to the "Way" and tells the story of his conversion. Even in telling of his conversion he makes mention of the fact that Ananias, who came to see him "was a devout observer of the law and highly respected by all the Jews living there." Paul is attempting to identify with his audience and break down the cultural barriers that might keep them from hearing his message.

Yesterday in a tweet Ed Stetzer wrote something that my wife has often heard me say, something to which, I believe, the Apostles would agree. Ed wrote, "We often forbid N. American churches from doing the very thing we require of international missionaries." (@edstetzer tweet Mon, Aug 23, 2010)

Father, I never want to compromise your truth, but neither do I want to be guilty of tying your truth to my culture in such a way that I cannot communicate it effectively to anyone outside my circle. Give me wisdom, discernment and a heart tender to your Spirit and to those around me, so that I might clearly demonstrate Jesus to those around me and effectively communicate His truth.

Comments