Deification, Canonization & Persecution


I've been reading Acts 14 this morning and three more or less unrelated thoughts come to mind. Why it's always three? I have no idea. Maybe my brain just can't handle more than three thoughts. Hmmm... At any rate, the first thought was spurred by verse 11. "When the crowd saw what Paul had done, they shouted in the Lycaonian language, "The gods have come down to us in human form!"" It struck me again how easy it is for us to deify the messenger, and what a temptation it is to start thinking highly of ourselves when God uses us. May God forgive us but, "That was the best sermon I've ever heard" is really fun to hear, particularly if you're a pastor who gets little affirmation. And for those of us in the pews, how often have we been guilty of canonizing our favorite preacher or author? If John Piper, or John MacArthur, or Scofield, or the Puritans, or (you name your favorite) said it then it must be true. Even the Apostle Paul commended the Bereans for testing what he taught against the scripture. We must be careful not to deify and canonize men.

The second thought that occurred to me was the fact that when Paul fled as persecution arose, he left behind new believers who still needed to live there. Were they persecuted? Did the furor die down when Paul left? How did they deal with this opposition to their new faith? The order of their community was disrupted with them embracing this new faith. They had to learn a whole new "normal". Clearly we must take the "good news" to the lost, but I wonder if we realize how traumatic the "good news" will be to their lives.

That brings me to the third thought that occurred to me from Acts 14. It came from verse 22 where Paul says to these new disciples, "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God." We have gotten spoiled in this country. If we can't find a Gideon Bible in our motel, we think we're being persecuted. If we can't pass out tracts in the local shopping center, we think we're being persecuted. If our government officials won't allow us to open their meetings with a prayer in Jesus name, we think we're being persecuted. I don't think we have a clue, and I wonder whether we are ready, willing, or even able to accept Paul's teaching here. I fear we're not. I fear I am not, but I rest in the hope (in the biblical sense of hope) that God's grace will be sufficient when that time comes.

Father, by your grace may I accept affirmation as an indication of your grace. May I always test even the most reputable authors and speakers against your Word. May I do so with great discernment. And Father, may I always find your grace to be sufficient, as you have promised, no matter what you call on me to experience or endure. To your glory!

Comments