Motives


In Acts 5, Ananias and Saphira lose their lives because they lie to the Holy Spirit and the people of God. Why do they lie? The property they sold was theirs. Peter acknowledged that after the property was sold the money was theirs to use as they wished. The issue wasn't that they kept part of the money for themselves, but that they lied about the sale price so that they appeared to be giving 100%. Apparently, they were more interested in appearing holy than in being holy.

The next thing that happens in Acts 5 is the arrest of the apostles, not because they are doing miracles, or because they are preaching, but because, "the high priest and all his associates ... were filled with jealousy." (Acts 5:17) Isn't that the same basic issue that Ananias and Saphira were dealing with. Barnabas sold his property and gave all. (Acts 4:36-37) They apparently wanted the glory of being a Barnabas without the sacrifice. The Jewish leaders wanted the attention without the truth.

This is so insidious. The scriptures teach that the heart is deceitful. How much of what we "do for God" is really done for personal glory or attention? How often do we fool ourselves into believing that our motives are pure, when deep down we know they are not? I often hear people say that they love to preach and so they think perhaps they should be in ministry. Perhaps, but they would do well to ask God to search their hearts for why they love to preach before they interpret it as a "call."

"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me." (Ps 139:1) Now, "search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Ps 139:23-24) By Your grace may I serve you from a clean heart and pure motives, for Your glory, not mine.

Comments