Opportunity for Joy


Acts 13 ends with these words, "And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit." What great event preceded this experience of joy? Well, it's not what I would have expected. It wasn't another conversion of 3000 people. It wasn't the miraculous healing of the sick and infirm. It wasn't the supernatural protection and provision of God. Rather, it was the fact that "the Jews incited the God-fearing women of high standing and the leading men of the city. They stirred up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region. So they shook the dust from their feet in protest against them and went to Iconium." (Acts 13:50-51) Persecution and the need to leave a new and exciting ministry prompted this kind of joy!?

Granted, there were many Gentiles saved, and "the word of the Lord spread through the whole region." (Acts 13:49) But, it seems to me that the fact that they had to leave, due to the opposition of the very group that should have been most accepting of their message, would have been occasion for grieving, even anger, not joy. Yet, they rejoice. God has done a work which the enemy cannot stop and they have been counted worthy of opposition because of the name of Christ. They shook off the dust from their feet and went on their way. "And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit." (Acts 13:52)

Father, way too often I allow my circumstances to dictate my mood. I neglect to see your sovereign hand behind the scenes. Lord, by faith help me see what I cannot see with my eyes. You are God and nothing can change that.

Comments