Some Thoughts on Acts 17


As is common it seems, three random thoughts occurred to me as I read through Acts 17. The first is found in verse 6, The Jewish leaders, out of jealousy round up a mob. They grab some new converts when they can't find Paul, and drag them before the officials. Here is their accusation, "These men who have caused trouble all over the world have now come here." Now first of all, it's the mob causing the commotion, not the believers. Second, it's Paul who has been traveling around preaching, not these new converts. But the thing that I've been thinking about is the cultural shift that inevitably occurs when the gospel arrives. Wherever the gospel went, the world was shaken up. Cultural anthropologists hate that. Watch a few movies and you'll see that. They don't see the freedom from fear and bondage; they just see that there are no cool looking witch doctors any more. It's interesting that the same people who will scream about changes to those cultures are on the frontlines in the attempt to destroy the church culture many of us grew up with. Now I'm not one to try and impose or enforce the culture of 1950 on anyone, but the hypocrisy is glaring.

The second thought that occurred to me from Acts 17 was that twice in this chapter the conversion of men and women is specifically mentioned. In Thessalonica "not a few women" believed. In Berea "a number of prominent Greek women and many Greek men" believed. In Athens "a few men became followers of Paul and believed ... also a woman named Damaris, and a number of others." I'm not sure if the emphasis here is on the men becoming believers, or on the fact that women were becoming believers, but this follows the story of the gospel coming to Phillipi, where the first convert was Lydia and her household. The church met in her home. Women were prominent in the life and ministry of Jesus, and in the beginnings of the church. That is important to recognize and celebrate. On the other hand, reaching men seems to have always been a challenge.

The third thought that occurred to me from Acts 17 is found in verse 16, "While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols." Paul is in Athens waiting for his friends, but his distress over the idolatry of the city moves him to engage them with the gospel. He wasn't in Athens to intentionally evangelize; it is just so much a part of who he is and how he thinks that it happens. It makes me wonder about how we see our own community. Do we see the need? Does it compel us to engage people with the gospel and the love of Christ? That's convicting.

Father, I know that there are those who will oppose the church and the gospel. They will paint us in a bad light whenever possible. By your grace, may we remain faithful. Jesus said, "I will build my church." Father, I thank you for the women who have sustained ministry over the years, often in spite of the men. By your grace may we men step up to the plate. Open our eyes to understand even what that means. Finally Father, help me see my city and my neighborhood through your eyes. Give me your heart, your compassion for those around me. Send your Holy Spirit to open eyes and hearts to faith in you, and give me eyes to see and feet to pursue the opportunities for ministry you place before me.

Comments