Matthew 10 What Did I Sign up For

Matthew 10:42 NIV 

And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward." 

What a pep talk Jesus gives his newly chosen apostles in this chapter. You're going to be rejected. Shake it off. You're going to be attacked and imprisoned, betrayed and hated. Trust me and stand firm. You're going to be viewed as an enemy and accused of being demonic. Keep serving. You will be rewarded. I can envision the apostles saying, "Is that what I signed on for? I think I forgot to read the fine print." Yet, with the exception of Judas, this is exactly the life and ministry these men lived out. What has God called us to?

I fear that our theology has been developed more by our 20th & 21st century American lifestyle than by the missionally focused Kingdom mindset of Jesus. Father forgive me for being more interested in comfort than in ministry, more interested in affluence than in obedience, more interested in making a name for myself than in presenting the name of Jesus to a broken world. May I, with the apostles, embrace your call wherever that takes me, but I am deeply aware that I can't do that on my own. Thank you for your Spirit and your Word.

Comments