Matthew 17 Rights & Offenses

As I read this chapter two thoughts occurred to me. The first came early in the chapter.

Matthew 17:5 NIV 

While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!" 

Three simple words, "Listen to him." We don't do that very well. Like Peter, we are ready for action. We are ready to serve. We may take a few moments to read some quick verses from our favorite Bible, but do we take the time to listen. We may depend on the Holy Spirit as our power source for mission, but how well do we hear him as our counselor and guide. The Father said, "This is my Son ... Listen to him."

The second thought came near the end of the chapter.

Matthew 17:26-27 NIV 

"From others," Peter answered. "Then the children are exempt," Jesus said to him. "But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours." 

Jesus tells Peter that even though they are "exempt" from the tax they will pay it "so that we may not cause offense." Right and wrong are important to me. Justice is important. My rights are important. Here is the Lord submitting to a temple tax. Everything in that temple rightly belongs to him. They should be paying him taxes. Yet the Master pays tax to his servants, "so that we may not cause offense."

Certainly there were times when Jesus said or did things that were offensive. We sometimes act as though the highest moral obligation we have is to be non-offensive. That's not what is going on here. On the other hand, as believers we sometimes act as though rightness and righteousness means being offensive. If people are offended by the cross, that's one thing. If people are offended because we are offensive, that's a whole different issue.

Father, help me to listen well to your Son, especially when it comes to how my behavior affects the unbelieving world around me. Let them see Jesus in me even if I have to give up some of my rights for that to happen.

Comments