Mark 11 Inappropriate Responses to Jesus

In Mk 11, I find three inappropriate responses to Jesus between verses 12-18. First is the fig tree. It’s not bearing figs because "it was not the season for figs." Isn't that our response often? "Jesus I'd love to do that for you BUT... it's not the right time. If only I was younger. If only I was older. If only I had more opportunity to raise support. If only I had a good job to support my family, I'd be happy to serve you but you called at the wrong time."

Second are the money changers and merchants in the temple area. They were more concerned about making a profit than about hearing a prophet. "Jesus," we say, "I'd be happy to serve you BUT... it's not convenient. I might have to give up my nice home. I might have to go somewhere I don't like. I might have to sweat, or freeze, or be uncomfortable, or eat food I don't like... I'd love to serve you, but you know I can't handle stress. It's really not convenient."

Third, the chief priests looked for a way to kill him "for they feared him because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching." In other passages, they wanted to kill him but didn't act against him because of their fear of the crowd. In this passage they fear Jesus because the crowd is listening to him. Is it possible that their response to Jesus was jealousy? How often have we allowed our own ego to get in the way of ministry? "Jesus, I'd be happy to serve you BUT... just make sure that people know it was my idea; just make sure that I get credit for my sacrifice; just make sure that SOMEONE acknowledges me in this thing." Someone once said that you can get a lot done if you don't care who gets the credit. We fear that we won't get the credit we deserve. We fear our own loss of acknowledgement more than we fear Jesus.

I've been guilty of all three inappropriate responses to Jesus at one time or another. I have found only ashes when I take these paths, but joy and blessing when I say, "Yes Lord, I will go now in your time, wherever you say, no matter who gets the credit." That changes everything and I've never once been sorry.

Comments