Mark 13 Waiting for His Return

In Mark 13, Jesus says, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come." That raises the question, what does it mean to be on the alert?

Titus 2:12-13 says that the grace of God "teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ."

What does it mean to "be on the alert"? I have a feeling it means saying "No" to ungodliness, living "self-controlled, upright and godly lives." What is it that keeps me from doing that? Weariness? "Be not weary in well doing." (2 Thess 3.13). Busyness? "See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil." (Eph 5:15-16). Laziness? "Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: … a little sleep, a little slumber, … So shall thy (spiritual?) poverty come …" (Prov 6:6-11).

Maybe it's just that I don't really understand and appreciate grace. It is grace that teaches me how to live in anticipation of Christ's return. The truth is, it's not about me. It’s about Him. How often I forget that.

Lord, forgive me for how often I look to myself to pull me up out of the mire of "ungodliness and worldly passions … to live self-controlled, upright and godly." Forgive me for the times I forget to look to you and your grace. It was your servant Paul who asked, "who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" But then he answered, "I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Rom 7:24-25) Father, thank you for your grace! By your grace may I live in anticipation of your Son's return.

Comments