Mark 9 Encountering Jesus

In reading Mark 9, three things are abundantly clear to me. First, no one encounters Jesus unmoved. They might be frightened, confused, overwhelmed or relieved, but no one is unmoved.

Second, the best response to Jesus in the whole chapter is the father who cries out, "I believe, help me in my unbelief." It is an honest response. He's not trying to be important. He's not trying to pretend that he has more faith than he does. He just knows that Jesus is his only hope.

Third, are Jesus words in verse 40, "Whoever is not against us is for us." Someone had been casting out demons in Jesus name but they weren't part of the disciple's little tribe. Now which group was doing the work of Jesus, those casting out demons in his name, or the disciples who were trying to stop them?

As believers in Jesus Christ, we often forget what it means to encounter Jesus. We get so caught up in the systems of ministry that we forget to really see him and be moved. We are often more concerned about what people think of us than of Jesus. As a result we are dishonest with others, with ourselves, and with our God. We pretend to be more holy than we really are, and we level most of our attacks at brothers who are not part of our own little tribe, when we should be besieging the gates of Hell with the Good News of Jesus.

Father, I recognize that I have been as guilty as anyone in these things. I believe, help me in my unbelief.

Comments