Matthew 26 Rejection

Matthew 26:2 NIV 

"As you know, the Passover is two days away—and the Son of Man will be handed over to be crucified." 

This chapter is filled with pain and rejection. I don't handle rejection well. Few of us do. But in this chapter the whole world, including his closest friends, turn against Jesus. The chief priests and elders plot to kill him. His disciples criticize him. Judas agrees to betray him, which Jesus is clearly aware of. The disciples fall asleep on him. Judas betrays him with a kiss, and Peter vehemently denies that he even knows him.

Matthew 26:49-50 NIV 

Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, "Greetings, Rabbi!" and kissed him. Jesus replied, "Do what you came for, friend." Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. 

Reading through the chapter, I have to wonder if this was perhaps the most painful moment, up to this point, in this chain of events. Judas has been a trusted friend. Here he is pretending that everything is normal. "Greetings Rabbi!" followed by the kiss of friendship, all the while betraying his master and teacher. That kiss must have stung Jesus cheek.

This makes me wonder how my own failures cause my Savior pain. How often have I fallen asleep on my master? How often have I criticized his ways? How often have I denied him? How often have my lips declared friendship but my actions betrayed him? This isn't a fun chapter. Father, thank you for your patience, grace and forgiveness. May I be found faithful, and may I demonstrate your grace to others when I experience rejection.

Comments