Luke 6 What Does it Mean to Love?

In the passage in Luke 6 where Jesus is explaining that we should love our enemies, he wraps up with these words, "Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." As believers in Jesus Christ, we are called on to extend mercy and grace, because we have been, and continue to be, recipients of God's mercy and grace.

This is foundational to the statement, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." It is foundational to the command to love our enemies. It is foundational to the instruction to not judge. It is foundational to ... Well you get the point. This is a foundational truth. As recipients of mercy we are expected to extend mercy.

Father I fear that I too little appreciate the mercy with which you have treated me, and too little understand the full extent of the mercy you expect me to show others. Help me see others through your eyes of mercy.

Comments