Luke 9:34 (ESV)
As he (Peter) was saying these things, a cloud came and overshadowed them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud.

Having seen Jesus in his glory with Moses and Elijah, Peter blurted out a plan to build them tens. Immediately they are enveloped in a cloud and they are afraid. Being in a cloud can be disorienting. I remember one of the first times I flew. We were flying in clouds coming into Spokane when suddenly the clouds cleared and I could see a mountain right beside my window. That was a little disconcerting. A few years ago I was driving in Montana in fog. When I suddenly burst out of the fog there was a herd of deer crossing the road. I was able to thread my way between them, but what if they had been in the fog. I would have never seen them. Being in a cloud can be disorienting and disconcerting.

While in the cloud they hear the voice of God, “This is my Son, my chosen one. Listen to him” (Lk 9:35). The word glory is Doxa. The word expresses reputation, greatness, or renown. The Hebrew word for glory means weightiness, or greatness. Moses and Elijah appear in glory as well. 1 Jn 3.2 says that, “What we will be has not yet appeared.” Could what they disciples saw be an indication of the glory we will have with Jesus when we are in Eternity? C.S. Lewis suggested that if we saw people as we will be, we would be tempted to fall down and worship them. There is a glory in Christ that we enter into now, but will be clearly visible then.

I wonder if we would treat one another the same way we do now if we realized what they will be. What if we were able to catch a glimpse of their future glory? How might that change our attitudes and actions toward our brothers and sisters in Christ? Too often I fear that we live in the fear of the cloud rather than in the clarity of Jesus’ glory. Maybe we just need to open our eyes.


Comments