Ezra 6-7 - Joy in Service


Ezra 7:13 (ESV)
I make a decree that anyone of the people of Israel or their priests or Levites in my kingdom, who freely offers to go to Jerusalem, may go with you.

Joy is found in the providential provision and protection of God. It is also found in the fulfillment of effective service. God provided his people with the opportunity and ability to serve (Ezra 6:13). He sent his prophets, Haggai and Zechariah, as well as the decree of kings Cyrus and Darius to support the work (Ezra 6:14). In response, the elders built, prospered, and finished the work (Ezra 6:14-15). The chapter ends with a celebration of joy.

In Matthew 25:21, 23 Jesus, in his parable of the talents, has the master say to the servant, “Well done good and faithful servant … enter into the joy of your master.” Reflecting on that truth,  Phil Wickham wrote these words in Heaven Song:

I hear Your voice and I catch my breath
“Well done my child, enter in and rest”
Tears of joy roll down my cheek
It's beautiful beyond my wildest dreams

We often forget about the provisions and protections God has provided. We neglect to step back from time to time and rejoice in the amazing things God has done in and through us. The most amazing truth is that when we get to heaven we will receive rewards for what we have done here. The truth is that it was all done by the grace of God. We need to occasional stop and reflect in what God has done, and then faithfully step into his service. It is in service that we find great joy.


Comments