Mt 9:32-38 - Seeing through Jesus' eyes


Matthew 9:32-34 (ESV)
[32] As they were going away, behold, a demon-oppressed man who was mute was brought to him. [33] And when the demon had been cast out, the mute man spoke. And the crowds marveled, saying, “Never was anything like this seen in Israel.” [34] But the Pharisees said, “He casts out demons by the prince of demons.”

Earlier in this chapter a group of mourners laughed at Jesus when he told the them girl was not dead, only sleeping. He healed the girl. Now the Pharisees are accusing him of casting out demons by demonic power. Jesus continued to minister. He didn’t pay attention to the laughing. He knew what he was about to do. He didn’t react to the accusations. He knew the truth. What Jesus saw was not the opposition or misunderstanding, but the crowds “harassed and helpless” (Mt 9:36). He was moved with compassion toward them.

We are too often concerned with what people think of us, or what they say about us. We are too often so self-focused that we fail to see the crowds. Jesus had to point out the crowds to his disciples. “Then he said to his disciples, ‘The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.’” After he called for them to pray for laborers he sent them out as laborers. But before he sent them out he called attention to the harvest. They saw the crowds, but they didn’t see the harvest.

This makes me wonder how often I have so focused on me and my needs that I failed to see the harvest in front of me. It makes me wonder how often I have reacted to rejection and accusations against me when I should have been looking for the harvest. It makes me wonder why I find it so difficult to stay focused on the power and purpose of Jesus and so easy to stay focused on me and my own comfort. Father, today give me eyes to see the crowds and the harvest. May I see them with the compassion of Jesus.

Comments