1 Corinthians 2:1-5 (Pt 6)


Acts 18:9-10
Do not be afraid any longer, but go on speaking and do not be silent; for I am with you.

Paul said, “When I came to Corinth I was discouraged. I had tried fancy preaching but it didn’t accomplish much. I had tried to establish and build churches everywhere I went but I kept getting chased off. When I came to Corinth God assured me that he had a work there for me to do so I decided to just go back to the basics of the gospel message and leave the results to him” (my understanding of what Paul is experiencing and expressing in 1 Cor 2:1-5).

What Paul learned was that in his failure God’s success shone the brightest. It is in our weaknesses that God’s power is most clearly demonstrated. It is in our fear that God’s fullness is most abundantly experienced. It is in our inability that God’s total ability is most clearly seen. Acts 18 records a night vision in which God spoke to Paul. He said, “Do not be afraid any longer, but go on speaking and do not be silent; for I am with you." (Acts 18:9-10 NAS)

To us God is saying, “Don’t be afraid, just get back to the basics. Keep on doing what I have called you to do. I have placed you here for a purpose and my purpose will be accomplished through your weakness. It is not dependent on your pastor. It is not dependent on your size. It is not dependent on your IQ, your education, your resources, or your abilities. My purpose will be accomplished in your weakness.” So, trust God, pray, watch, listen, and be ready. God is at work.

Comments